Dear Year 5,
The time has come where we have been advised by our prime minister to close schools and complete our learning at home. These packs are to be completed in a book that will be provided from school. For the first week I ask that you complete your work on a notepad at home, getting used to the work and how to set it out. Next week, in your pack, there will be an example of what a good one looks like to help layout your work in the correct way in your book. Don’t worry if you are not sure on how to do something, you can always ask your parents or speak to us when we phone home.
If you struggle with some of the reading, ask parents to read it out loud for you whilst you listen and answer the questions. I can’t wait for you to read Cosmic- the book we voted for last term. A lot of the work, we have already completed similar tasks in school e.g. vocabulary work, so you should know what to do independently.
It will be expected that you complete the work set either on google classroom or the home pack and give back your work so that I can have a look and monitor your learning. You should be working for the same amount of time that you would have been in school, so don’t rush your work.
Times are very hard and if you are worried you are not alone. We will all get through this together and hopefully I will get to see you all again soon. Keep shining, you are all superstars!
Sending big hugs- socially distanced of course.
Miss Murphy & Mrs Bennett
Year 5 Class Teacher
Year 5 Teaching Assistant (Mon - Wed)
- PE is on a Tuesday
- Reading book and log must be handed in EVERY day
- Reading Logs checked on a Monday
- Homework due in on Wednesdays
- Spelling tests are on Fridays
Additional Learning at Home:
Children are able to access reading materials catered to their specific reading level on Bug Club. They have their own individual log in and can choose a book from here to read at home as well as their home reader.
Children should be accessing TT Rockstars at least once a week as timetables are a fundamental skill throughout life and play a big part of our maths lessons. Again, children have their own log ins to access at home.
Children can use hit the button to improve their fluency in core maths skills such as addition and subtraction. It comes in the form of a game so is a great way to learn and have fun at the same time.
- Homework will be given out on a Friday. This will include English and Maths homework.
- Homework must be handed in on a Wednesday.
- Spellings will be given out on a Fridays.
- Spellings must be learnt and handed in on a Friday.
- Spellings will be tested on a Friday.
- Children must bring their reading book and log into school EVERY day.
- All children have a target of reading to an adult at home 5 times per week.
- Reading logs will be checked on a Monday and dojos will be given to all children who have met their target.
- Please ensure any vocabulary is noted that the children may not be sure of so we can evaluate in school