Family Engagement and Inclusion
At Cathcart Street we are committed to providing an inclusive education for your children but also in supporting you as parents/carers.
Mrs Jo Maillet
Family Engagement Lead
We have a Family Engagement Lead at Cathcart Street Primary School, Mrs Maillet, whose role includes working with children, parents/carers, teachers and other agencies on various issues which may affect a child's learning and wellbeing. These can include:
- Punctuality and attendance
- Changes in behaviour causing detriment to learning
- Friendship issues
- Low self esteem and confidence
- Settling in of new children
- Transition to new class, key stage or secondary school
- Supporting parents or carers with routines, managing behaviour at home etc
- A point of contact for parents and carers on a daily basis.
The Familiy Engagement Lead role also involves working as part of the school's safeguarding team. This includes supporting families and children in times of crisis and working closely with other partner agencies. If you are concerned about your child, you are encouraged to approach Mrs Richards or Mrs Maillet to discuss any worries so that support can be offered or we can signpost you to another agency.
Mrs Maillet also works with children on a 1:1 basis or in small groups to help deal with issues and assist children to re-engage in their learning. Some of the issues can include:
- Anger/behaviour management and control
- Key transitions, including moving between schools/classes
- Development of pupil self-esteem and confidence
- Friendship issues/bullying
- Family issues
The involvement of parents in this type of work is important and highly valued. If your child is working with Mrs Maillet, you will receive regular updates. Your thoughts and feedback are important.
Support for families can also include:
- Providing information and signposting to other services in the local area
- Liasing with a range of external services, agencies and schools
- Assistance in completing paperwork and forms e.g. special educational needs, secondary school applications
- Attendance at school and other agency meetings
- Advice and support in promoting positive behaviour at home and establishing routines
- Providing access to training and workshops in school
Mrs Maillet is passionate about working with children and families, and is available to discuss any problems or ideas that parents/carers may have. If you would like to contact Mrs Maillet, you will find her in the playground each morning or you can call the school office.