Children's centres provide a variety of advice and support for parents and carers. Their services are available to you from pregnancy right through to when your child goes into reception class at primary school.
We are very forunate to have a Sure Start Centre attached to our school. They offer a range of facilities and support. Their contact number is 0151 647 4445.
How Children's Centres can help you:
There are more than 3,600 Children’s Centres in England. They bring all the different support agencies together to offer a range of services to meet you and your child’s needs, all in one place.
They’re somewhere your child can make friends and learn as they play. You can get professional advice on health and family matters, learn about training and job opportunities or just socialise with other people.
Services Children's Centres offer:
Children’s Centres are developed in line with the needs of the local community so no one Children’s Centre is the same. However, there is a core set of services they must provide:
- Child and family health services, ranging from health visitors to breastfeeding support
- Most centres offer high quality childcare and early learning - those that don’t can help advise on local childcare options
- Advice on parenting, local childcare options and access to specialist services for families like speech therapy, healthy eating advice or help with managing money
- Help for you to find work or training opportunities, using links to local Jobcentre Plus offices and training providers
Other services you might be offered:
The services available to you will depend on your local area. At many children's centres you can:
- See a dentist, dietician or physiotherapist
- Visit the ‘stop smoking’ clinic
- Get faster access to expert advice, support and short-term breaks if your child has learning difficulties or disabilities
- Talk to Citizens Advice
- Take parenting classes
- Improve your English if it is not your first language - with someone from your own culture